You are here:
||LIBRARIAN - YOUTH SERVICES
||City of Ponca City Jobs
|Additional Status Information:
||ALL APPLICATIONS ARE GOOD FOR 60 DAY FROM DATE OF APPLICATION
||$34,785.00 to $36,525.00
Return To Main Job Postings Page
General Job Description: This is a professional Librarian position, providing administrative, supervisory and direct service work, coordinating and managing the children and teen collection, programming and activities. This staff member also provides general library services for young library customers, including special services such as the Summer Reading Program, story hours and outreach that enhance the lives of and promote reading to young customers.
Supervision: Receives direction from the Library Director, is responsible for supervising two part time employees.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Schedules, plans, conducts, and publicizes library activities and programs for selected groups.
2. Develops and maintains all aspects of the children’s collection, including books, periodicals, audio-visual and multi-media materials.
3. Provides Reference and Reader’s Advisory Services for children and staff in a courteous manner; maintains a regular desk schedule in the Children’s Area; provides information and direction in person and by telephone; assists customers in selecting and finding materials.
4. Writes correspondence, press releases and grant applications. Prepares promotional materials and attends functions to promote library functions.
5. Supervises some part time staff members; ensures proper supervision of children and general public safety as necessary.
6. Provides guided Library tours and orientations, makes school visits and presentations as requested by Community groups.
7. Prepares professional quality documents and reports for planning and statistical purposes in a timely manner.
8. Acceptable attendance.
9. Works well with people.
Marginal Job Functions: (Not fundamental but part of the job in a less important manner.)
1. Organizes attractive book displays and maintains the children’s area as an inviting place that attracts young users and encourages reading.
2. Provides customer service in other areas when other supervisors are unavailable.
3. Other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Desired Qualities or Skills:
1. Knowledge of Library Science theories, skills and practices.
2. Knowledge of current public service philosophy and practice.
3. Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
4. Knowledge of current trends in education and curriculum development.
5. Knowledge of children’s and teen’s literature and programming practices.
6. Knowledge of laws, regulations and common policies pertaining to Library services.
7. Ability to use Library automation software, Office software, and standard office equipment.
Abilities: Successful candidates must have the following attributes:
1. The ability to apply creative thinking, imagination and interact well with parents and children.
2. The ability with work with interruptions on a regular basis.
3. The ability to establish rapport with co-workers and maintain good working relationships with the media, the schools and potential sponsors.
4. The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
5. The ability to work independently.
6. The ability to walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time.
7. The ability to push loaded book carts and shelve materials up to six feet.
8. The ability to lift up to fifty pounds.
Education and experience:
1. A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Studies from an ALA accredited institution.
2. Experience in a public library is desirable.
|7/29/2014 12:00 AM
|Open Until Filled
To be considered for this position, you must have a Master's Degree in Library and Information Studies.